I was looking to book two return tickets from Denver to London in March 2023 and needed to see what tickets allow for changes to the return date. There is a little link on the united.com website that pops up a window to list the different ticket types – here is a copy of the pop up window. I also made a text list below the image.
Basic Economy (most restrictive) Choose your seat for a fee No upgrades No changes allowed Checked bag fees 1 carry-on bag included Economy Choose your seat Upgrades available No change fees 1 checked bag included 1 carry-on bag included Economy (fully refundable) Choose your seat Upgrades available No change fees 1 checked bag included 1 carry-on bag included Premium Economy Roomier seat Upgrades available No change fees checked bags included 1 carry-on bag included Business Extra-spacious seat No change fees 2 checked bags included 1 carry-on bag
And I even asked ChatGPT to summarize the list above.
Here are the differences between the ticket types you mentioned:
- Basic Economy: Most restrictive. Seat selection available for a fee. No upgrades or changes allowed. Checked bag fees apply. 1 carry-on bag included.
- Economy: Seat selection available. Upgrades available. No change fees. 1 checked bag included. 1 carry-on bag included.
- Economy (fully refundable): Same as Economy but fully refundable.
- Premium Economy: Roomier seat than Economy. Upgrades available. No change fees. Checked bags included. 1 carry-on bag included.
- Business: Extra-spacious seat compared to Premium Economy and below classes. No change fees. 2 checked bags included and 1 carry-on bag included.
So in summary, if you want to change your ticket then choose any ticket type BUT the BASIC ECONOMY ticket type. Remember if you change your ticket you will need to pay the difference between the price you paid and the new price.
Here is a list of prices for each ticket type March 20, 2023
For shits and giggles I decided to show you the price difference for the tickets – $7000 OUCH!!!