On a serous note: We had a meeting at work today and the difficult topic of sexual harassment came up. I really had a new understanding of the subject after watching a short video on the subject (the creators were kind enough to have posted an online version) I think as men we should all be aware of this kind of behavior and and try our best to be gentlemen at all times. I encourage you to forward this to as many guys as possible and let’s help stamp out this kind of antisocial behavior for good!
Month: November 2006
I just deleted my Match.com sucks article and decided to put energy into writing about what I want not what I don’t want. Just got a some inspiration from watching a DVD that a friend lent me called “The Secret” that basically says we are our thoughts and that our thoughts will manifest into reality. Negative thoughts will manifest into the physical word as negative outcome and experience. Sounds somewhat New Age and wacky but I’m going to give it a try, what do I have to loose apart from my somewhat negative, glass half empty outlook I have on certain aspects of my life, especially relationships.
Ok so here goes:
- Someone who is emotionally available, this sounds obvious but I have encountered many women who say they want a relationship but are distant or emotionally unavailable.
- Time, time, time. You have to make time to put into the relationship. We all have careers, goals and are generally busy (especially in the US)! I understand a relationship is all about balance, just one of many things that brings us joy in life but you gotta have time to put into it. Meeting up once a week for half an hour is not gonna cut the mustard for me! I’d like to add that I’m not one of those needy people who needs a 24/7 companionship. I’m self employed and spend the majority of my day alone (apart from my pooch). I’m also more that likely to be at a coffee shop alone than with someone else.
- Someone who will laugh at life when life is less than kind
- Someone who is always asking questions and looking for answers
- Someone who will compliment me, spoil me and understand me
- A communicator, if I say something in a certain tone or do something upsetting they’ll let me know in a gentle manner, not hold the hurt inside as resentment
- Someone whom I can look at every day and never tire of, someone who make me beam from ear to ear every time I see them (currently only one being makes me feel that way and he has four legs:) )
- Someone who wants to settle down, shack up together, read the paper in bed on Sunday morning, make tea and eat pastries together. (Settle down does not mean that we can’t travel, spend the winter in a far off land. I might also add that I have never lived with anyone before) It’s nice to have a home base.
- Best friend, soul mate, someone who inspires me to be a better person (Note: only I can make my self be a better person but it’s nice to have some inspiration!)
- Someone who knows that love is tough and work (not too much work) but work none the less and is willing to go the distance with me
- Someone who cares about others and the planet
That’s all for now, it’s just a start and so I will add more later. If you happen to know of such a person contact me via email [my email address].
It’s just plain rotten to kick someone when they’re down but I can’t help myself when I hear news like this. Ted Haggard is one of the top evangelical leaders in the US, an outspoken opponent to gay marriage and a personal friend of the Focus on the Family chump we know and love, James Dobson. He’s just been accused of buying drugs and having gay sex with a male prostitute. What a day: the news media are ruining poor Kerry simply because he forget to add a few words to the end of a joke written by his staff and Ted Haggard is fessing up to some of what his accuser is saying regarding the drugs and sex – wow!
Ted also said “I bought drugs from him but threw them away”. He also said that he never had sex with the accuser, just a little man on man massage. Hmm, sound’s somewhat gay to me! The problem with wankers like this is that they are directly responsible for Bush being in power due to the clout they have with their congregations. By day, preaching hell and brimstone from the pulpit and by night doing drugs and getting some back door action. He’s also furthering the stereotype that gay men are all a bunch of male prostitutes. Reminds me of Foley who’s excuse for liking young boys was simply that he was gay!
This whole thing is really getting me riled up today. Shame on you Ted Haggard and James Dobson, you hypocrites! Take the planks out of your own eyes before you stir up hate in others. This is a good lesson for the sheep who blindly agree with what those in power or at the pulpit say. Question your leaders, whoever they are, question what is going on in Iraq or in your church. Now I’ve got that off my chest ……. Also, what the hell is he doing taking meth a nasty drug made from horrible chemicals, what the hell is wrong with da herb man!
I guess we should feel sorry for the man, 5 kids and a poor wife who is probably asking herself what is wrong with her that he has to get sexual pleasure from another man. Of course you know that he’ll blame the entire thing on Satan and ask for his sins to be thrown into “God’s sea of forgetfulness”!
UPDATE, Nov 4th press release from New Life Church:
We, the Overseer Board of New Life Church, have concluded our deliberations concerning the moral failings of Pastor Ted Haggard. Our investigation and Pastor Haggard’s public statements have proven without a doubt that he has committed sexually immoral conduct.
The language of our church bylaws state that as Overseers we must decide in cases where the Senior Pastor has “demonstrated immoral conduct” whether we must “remove the pastor from his position or to discipline him in any way they deem necessary.” In consultation with leading evangelicals and experts familiar with the type of behavior Pastor Haggard has demonstrated, we have decided that the most positive and productive direction for our church is his dismissal and removal.
In addition, the Overseers will continue to explore the depth of Pastor Haggard’s offense so that a plan of healing and restoration can begin.
Pastor Haggard and his wife have been informed of this decision. They have agreed as well that he should be dismissed and that a new pastor for New Life Church should be selected according to the rules of replacement in the bylaws.
That process will begin immediately in hopes that a new pastor can be confirmed by the end of the year 2006. In the interim, Ross Parsley will function as the leader of the church with full support of the Overseers. A letter of explanation and apology by Pastor Haggard as well as a word of incouragement from Gayle Haggard will be read in the 9:00 and 11:00 service of New Life
I found this great article in Harpers Magazine on Ted’s New Life Church.
The 2006 Naked Pumpkin Run has been banned by YouTube, I’m working on getting it uploaded elsewhere. But check out the 2007 Naked Pumpkin Run Video – click here or the 2008 Naked Pumpkin Run Video here. There was no run in 2009 due to a police crack down headed by Boulder’s Chief of Police Mark Beckner
I’ve lived in Boulder for 13 years but I’d never even heard of the Naked Pumpkin Run. It’s a streak down the Pearl St. Mall that takes place yearly on Halloween night. I strategically positioned myself outside Old Chicago’s with a few mates of mine and whipped out the old video camera when the brave folks ran by. It was a particularly cold night so not so good if you were a bloke (high shrinkage factor lads!)
A police car just happened to be stopped at the traffic lights at the junction of 11th and Pearl as the mass of nakedness ran by. They initially put on their flashing lights but didn’t really do much after that as you can see in the video below. I can just hear the incident report on the radio: “This is Car 123 to base, we have a mass of naked people with pumpkins on their heads heading west on Pearl, please advise, over!” Thank you naked people and come back next year!